1. The new “Hunger Games” trailer! I’m seriously counting the days (49, woo hoo!) until we see it in the theaters. I have a feeling this might make every Fangirl Friday list until the movie’s release. Look at Caesar! See the weepy goodbye between Katniss and Gale. Look at how purty Jen Lawrence (who by the way is dating the adorable Nicholas Hoult of “Skins” fame) as the Girl on Fire!
2. For the first time in ages, I haven’t finished a book yet this week, but I did start “Jasper Jones,” which is fabulous so far. It’s written by Craig Silvey, an Australian author (is there something in the water Down Under? I’ve yet to encounter an Aussie YA author I haven’t liked: Melina — natch; Markus Zusak; Cath Crowley; Judith Clarke; and I have two more authors – Lili Wilkinson and Christine Hinwood in my TBR pile!) who received a Printz Honor (lookit, the sticker is there already!) this year. The story is a Harper Lee tribute as far as I can tell — race, murder, outcasts, friends — powerful themes and evocative writing.
3. My oldest son (who was born on Superbowl Sunday 2002) turned 10 on Friday, so I’m going to give him a big shout-out and say that I’m his No. 1 fan — in addition to my husband, of course. He’s a great kid, full of wonder and delight and a dry wit that cracks everyone up — even his teachers. He’d like to recommend his favorite Middle Grade books: “Harry Potter,” “Percy Jackson” (anything by Rick Riordan), “The Invention of Hugo Cabret,” “Wonderstruck,” “Bone,” “Gregor the Overlander,” and “Amulet.” Wish me luck as I host 12 boys for a movie, games and pizza party Saturday.
4. Did anyone else see that Melina Marchetta and Kristin Cashore went on a European vacation together? Am I the only one who thinks that’s awesome? Two fabulous authors researching their fantasy book locations together is just so cool. I wish I could ring up Tee from YA Crush or Alli from Reading Everywhere and say, “Hey, let’s jet to Florence, because I’m writing about ‘A Room With a View” Wouldn’t that be awesome?
5. Channing Tatum is on “Saturday Night Live” this week. I hope he finds a way to dance in it!