Sorry I’m so late to the game, I was at a conference yesterday and couldn’t write my Love-a-Thon post. Thanks to the bloggers who run this annual event!
1. What’s your name? Sandie
2. Where in the world are you blogging from? Washington D.C. area
3. How did you get into blogging in the first place? I’ve been blogging since 2003 but for 9 years was a parent/memoir blogger and then in 2011 started Teen Lit Rocks.
4. How did you come up with your blog name? My sister Diana and I asked our kids and some friends to weigh in on a bunch of different names, and the consensus was Teen Lit Rocks. Then my friend Sarah who is a graphic designer made the book stack look like the “rock” hand symbol.
5. What genre do you read and review the most on your blog? I read contemporary most often, but I actually don’t do a ton of reviews on the blog, because I write them professionally for Common Sense Media and Kirkus and don’t always have the bandwidth to write more here.
6. What other types of posts do you do on your blog, apart from reviews? We do a few features, most notably the monthly YA Diversity Book Club I co-host with two other blogs, and we hope to get back to the Monday Quotes, Literary Crush, Commentary, and joint/collaborative reviews with friends.
7. Best blogging experience so far? Going to conferences like BEA and ALA MIDWINTER and hanging out with fellow book bloggers I love.
8. Favorite thing about the blogging community? Everyone is supportive and not as competitive or focused on monetizing as they are in the parent blogger community.
9. Name the 5 books you’re most excited for this 2016!
- THE WINNER’S KISS by Marie Rutkoski
- THE RAVEN KING by Maggie Stiefvater
- CROOKED KINGDOM by Leigh Bardugo
- A TORCH AGAINST THE NIGHT by Sabaa Tahir
- HEARTLESS by Marissa Meyer
10. Name the 5 books you want to read this 2016 that you didn’t get to in previous years!
- FAIREST AND WINTER by Marissa Meyer
- MISTBORN by Brandon Sanderson
- STAND-OFF by Andrew Smith
- THE WRATH and the DAWN by Renée Ahdieh
- A DARKER SHADE OF MAGIC by Victoria Schwab
11. What’s an underrated book or series that you think everyone should read? THE LUMATERE CHRONICLES by Melina Marchetta — so many of my friends haven’t read it!
12. Which book boy or girl would be your book BFF? Honestly some protagonists wouldn’t make the best of friends because they’re so busy with their own story/journey; it’s their best friends who are awesome, like Hermione (Harry) or Zuzana (Karou) or Kim (Mia).
13. Which book boy or girl would be your book boyfriend/girlfriend? So many literary crushes: Jonah “Effin'” Griggs, Finnikin or Froi (see, I love Marchetta’s men), Park Sheridan, the Lunar Chronicles guys, Josh Bennett, Adam Wilde, Sean Kendrick, Etienne St. Clair, I could go on!
14. Who would you recruit for your apocalypse squad (5 characters max): Having faced catastrophes so well, I’d pick Darrow, Mustang, Four, Inej, and Kaz. See what I did there 😉
15. Apart from reading, what are your other hobbies or interests? I primarily review movies in my professional life, so obviously I’m a big movie lover. I love to travel, scope out indie bookstores and coffee shops, and as a family, we love to hike and visit museums, go to live performances (musicals, plays, concerts, etc.) and play board games.
16. Apart from book shopping, what else do you like shopping for? Stationery, Alex + Ani bracelets, my #OTSPSecretSister packages, and stuff for my family/kids.
17. At a party, the DJ suddenly changes the song – and it’s your song. What song would be playing? Ha, this could be so many songs. I’m older than the average YA blogger so this will date me, but probably a “shout-out” to the ’90s like Nirvana’s “Smells Like Teen Spirit” or the mid 2000s like “Crazy” by Gnarls Barkley.
18. Pick out either a book you want turned into a film/TV show, or a film/TV show you want turned into a book. I am not a fan of novelizations of shows, so I’ll go with an adaptation. Of the books not currently optioned (and there are so many), I would pick either SIX OF CROWS by Leigh Bardugo or THE LUMATERE CHRONICLES by Melina Marchetta.
19. What would your dream library look like? I have two built-ins in my living room, but they simply aren’t enough, and I end up looking like a book hoarder. If we move, I want an entire wall of custom bookcases somewhere in my house.
20. Author you want to meet and sit down to tea with? I’ve met many of my favorite authors since I started blogging, but I’ve yet to meet Melina Marchetta. Of the authors I’ve met and would love to keep chatting: Rainbow Rowell, Leigh Bardugo, and Jenny Han are all lovely and clever and funny.