I’m going to occasionally participate in this Bookish Thoughts meme, because hey, it’s an easy way to keep up about what I’m reading and what’s going on.
1. I was able to attend the ALA Midwinter Conference last weekend and on Monday was in the third row as the Youth Media Awards were announced. I was particularly excited about the William C. Morris Award and honorees for the best YA debuts and the Michael L. Printz Award and honorees for the best YA books period. This year, the award-winning books included MARCH: BOOK THREE by John Lewis, Andrew Aydin and Nate Powell; THE SUN IS ALSO A STAR by Nicola Yoon; THE PASSION OF DOLSSA by Julie Berry; SCYTHE by Neal Shusterman; THE SERPENT KING by Jeff Zentner; THE SMELL OF OTHER PEOPLE’S HOUSES by Bonnie-Sue Hitchcock; and GIRL MANS UP by M-E Girard. I feel so lucky that I was able to see Rep. Lewis so many times while I was in Atlanta.
3. I read ALEX, APPROXIMATELY by Jenn Bennett and now have a major literary crush on the love interest Porter Roth, who’s a hapa California surfer boy who loves classic movies. He’s funny and protective and way smarter than his looks and surfing talent would lead a girl to believe. And he says adorable things like skedaddle. Be still my heart.
4. The Newbery Medal-winning middle-grade book THE GIRL WHO DRANK THE MOON by Kelly Barnhill looks so, so good. I can’t wait to read it. I’m going to suggest a mother-daughter read to my 12-year-old girl.
5. I’m reading HARRY POTTER with my 8-year-old son, and I’ve got to say it’s one of parenting’s greatest joys to read to and with my children.
6. I love my Headspace App, which lets me do ten minutes of Mindfulness a day. Check it out if you need a way to clear your head and breathe.
7. I binge-watched THE CROWN this week, and it was so, so good. It’s a historical docudrama that chronicles the early years in Queen Elizabeth II’s reign, starting with her marriage to Prince Philip (played by former DOCTOR WHO star Matt Smith). I can finally see why Claire Foy won the Golden Globe. Don’t have Netflix? Definitely reconsider that decision.
9. Recently I’ve been using this Scout Bags tote called the Pocket Rocket. It’s huge, but it holds ALL of my mom stuff. Love it. They sent it to me to review for my other blog, and it’s awesome.
10. Big news: We are getting a redesign soon here at TLR, and I’m super excited about it. The Fiverr-hired designer/coder should have first-drafts of designs for me to look at today.
Thanks for hosting this weekly prompt, Bookishly Boisterous.